Thursday, March 17, 2016

Day 5: On the way home

It's been a fun three and a half days here.

The parks are spectacular in their flora.  Hiking in the ?woods?, or should I say mangroves and swamps is every bit as relaxing as the deciduous and coniferous paths of upstart NY. I did not find any challenging hills to climb. But then this is Florida.  Ha ha.

It seems like every half mile, there is another 6 lane divided highway. And the communities appear to have walls around them. Mostly gated communities?

The appearance of the communities are different here. I've already alluded to the 'gatedness'. As I drove the highways,  it was hard for me to pick out things of interest, simply based on their look. That may be a factor of my having chosen to live in downtown Rochester, first in the Neighborhood of the Arts and now in the East End.  I have put a premium on being able to walk to destinations,  many of which are in architecturally interesting buildings or near cultural activities like theater,  music and independent films. And where I live,  these are basically all within 10 blocks or so.

One other thing.  Several times I tried to ask for help at red lights,  but no one rolled down their window to assist me. Far off crime? People that I encountered on the street were unfailingly polite.

Back home.  Stepped outside and was shocked to see how I had forgotten how cold 40 degrees is.


No comments:

Post a Comment